This square is named after the poplar, a deciduous tree of the willow family its name. The square was designed by Giuseppe Valadier between 1811 and 1822. Valadier designed two half laps to the obelisk. The central fountain that once stood on this square has been moved to Piazza Nicosia to make four fountains with Egyptian lions that were placed around the obelisk. Place in 1818 Piazza del Popolo is located on the Pincio hill.
What can you find in the square
- Two almost identical churches Santa Maria dei Miracoli and Santa Maria di Monte Santo. The churches are separated by Via del Corso. These churches are called the twin churches.
- On the north side is the church Santa Maria del Popolo Church
- The gate of the Aurelian wall, Porta del Popolo. It was restored in 1655 by Bernini commissioned by Pope Alexander VII. This was for Queen Christina of Sweden who had to convert to Christianity in Brussels and has started to settle in Rome and queen who had no further land.
- Egyptian Obelisk, it originally stood in the Circus Maximus. This obelisk is one of the largest (36 meters plinth) of Rome and the oldest third
- Fontana dell’Obelisco
- Fontana del Nettuno
|Piazza Navona, a 15th century oblong square, is the remains of Circus Agonalis, a former sporting stadium built by Emperor Domitian in 86 BC. Houses were built on the ruins which still has the shape of the stadium and so arose the Piazza Navona. The Piazza Navonasquare […]read more...|
|Piazza Venezia and Venice Square is a square in Rome where four major roads meet. Namely the Via del Corso, Via del Plebiscito, Via di Teatre Marcello and Via dei Fori Imperiali. Through these four roads Piazza Venezia is also known for its chaotic traffic. Piazza Venezia […]read more...|
|The Aurelian wall is the city wall of Rome. It was built by Emperor Aurelian during the second half of the 3rd century AD. At first, the preceding emperors and kings of Rome found the building of a wall around the city to be unimportant due to […]read more...|