The Castel Sant’Angelo as we know it, has undergone several renovations over the past centuries. The alterations were mainly to strengthen the castle’s defenses. Built between 135 – 139 AD, the castle was originally a mausoleum for Emperor Hadrian. The same cylindrical shape can also be seen in the Mausoleum of Augustus. To connect the monument to the other side, a bridge was built. This bridge was then called as the Pons Aelius. Later on, we all knew this bridge as the Ponte Sant’Angelo.
Emperor Hadrians Mausoleum
Emperor Hadrian had the outer walls clad with marble and ordered to make a bronze statue of himself. This is very similar to what Augustus did. Emperor Hadrian’s statue stood tall on the original entrance of the mausoleum.
Not only Emperor Hadrian was laid down in that mausoleum. The burial urns of his wide Sabine and other emperors who ruled after him was also laid to rest in that mausoleum. The last that rested in the mausoleum was Roman Emperor Caracalla in 217 AD.
In 280 AD, the wall was built surrounding the mausoleum and it was called the Aurelain wall. From this, the mausoleum began to shape more like a fortress.
Legend has it that the name Castel Sant’ Angelo or Angel’s Castle (in English), was named after Archangel Michael appeared. There was a plague that attacked Rome and Pope Gregory begged God to put an end to that nightmare. It was said that Archangel Michael actually came and ended the plague. From then, Pope Pius II built a chapel on the very place Archangel Michael was said to have appeared. On top of the castle stand a bronze statue of the savior angel.
The location of Castel Sant’Angelo was very convenient and strategic for the Vatican City. Castel Sant’Angelo was a safer haven, a shelter. Eventually, the Castel Sant’Angelo was acquired as part of its properties by the Vatican City.
In 1722, Pope Nicholas II built the Pasetto. It was a passageway between the Apostolic Palace and the Castel Sant’ Angelo. This passage led to safety when there was a threat of danger. In 1870, the Castel Sant’Angelo fell into the hands of the Italian Army. Since then, the castle was opened to the public and became a museum. The museum houses now various artifacts that tell the history of Rome, for everyone to see and enjoy.
The bridge of Angels
Once you go to the Castel Sant’Angelo, the first thing you will see is the Bridge of Angels. On this bridge are the statues of Peter, Paul and ten other angels that were created by Bernini and his pupils
Lungotevere Castell 50
April to September 9:00 – 19:30
October to March 9:00 – 14:00
Full Price € 8.50
Student’s Rate (18-25 years old) € 6.00
|Ninfa is a huge town of the Roman times. It is situated 64 kilometers southeastern part of Rome in Lazio, Italy. This village is known as the perfect resting place when traveling from Rome to Naples and vice versa. The village was ruined by the civil warread more...|
|The Trevi Fountain is the most famous and the largest fountain in Rome. It has a width of 20 meters and a height 30 meters. It is situated at the Piazza di Trevi or the Trevi square. It marks the end point of the three road junctionread more...|
|Everybody has dreamed of going back in time, at least one time in their lives! This is a child wish that usually sticks with us when we are grownups. From the Renaissance and the Roman Empire and then finally back to the present, Rome is one ofread more...|